The Kelman Group produces performance work across a wide spectrum spaces and forms. A large part of our activity is giving Kelmanworks workshops. Kelmanworks has been developed over the past 30 years by Scott Kelman, who is based in Portland, Oregon. The form continues to develop through constant exploration by groups in the US and UK.
The Kelman Group presents regular opportunities to experience kelmanworks - have a look at our Workshop Courses page.
kelmanworks has the following central concerns:
- Awareness of personal states of being - getting in touch with who we are, internally and externally, in the moment.
- Awareness of our impulses and choices into the next moment.
- Presence - what it is and how to attain it.
- Empathy - working in the zone of others' states of being. Yielding with strength to stimuli we percieve outside ourselves.
Kelmanworks process is divided into four major States that are first worked upon separately and later integrated.
The four states are:
- Deliberation - concerned with creating space for things to happen and 'the conjuring of visions'.
- Sound & Movement - concerned with conjuring action, image and exploring the relationship between vocal and physical attributes.
- SoundJam - an abstract vocal state concerned with the conjuring of mood and atmosphere.
- Riff - concerned with the conjuring of text, narrative, dialogue.
Further breakdown of these core states can be found on the Core Notes page.